2 pounds meat (lamb or beef), washed and cubed
4 medium-size quince, washed, cored and sliced (could be cubed too), slice right before cooking.
1 cup yellow split peas, picked over and rinsed
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2 -3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon liquid saffron
Salt and pepper to taste
2-3 dried lemons (limoo amani) or juice of a lime
2 tablespoons sugar
A dash of cinnamon
2 cups of water
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onion and cook until golden brown, add turmeric powder and stir.
- Place the meat in the pot and brown on all sides.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for five minutes. Stir.
- Add the peas to the pot and give it a gentle stir, cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add cinnamon, saffron, dried lemons salt and pepper.
- Pour water in the pot, bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover and cook on a medium to low heat for an hour.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a skillet and cook the slices of quince for 7-10 minutes over medium heat.
- Sprinkle sugar over quince slices and stir well till sugar is completely dissolved. Set aside.
- In an ovenproof casserole dish, pour in the meat mixture, adjust the seasoning and gently layer the cooked quince slices on top.
- Cook in the 350 degrees Fahrenheit pre-heated oven for 50 minutes.
* I garnished the stew with some slices of a small and ripe khormaloo (persimmon).