2 cups fresh parsley, chopped
2 cups fresh scallions (green parts only), or leeks, chives, chopped
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
1 cup fresh dill, chopped
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
5 large eggs
2 tablespoons barberries (zereshk) *optional
2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped *optional
1/3 teaspoon turmeric
1-2 tablespoons flour
Salt and pepper to taste
4-5 tablespoons vegetable oil/olive oil
- Clean and wash the vegetables. Chopping them by hand is the preferred and the traditional way. However, the convenient and the less time consuming way is to use the food processor. You may chop them finely but I only pulse it a few times.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs well with a whisk. Then add all the above ingredients except the oil and mix thoroughly until well blended. To this mixture add one tablespoon of oil and stir well.
- In an oven proof baking dish place the remaining oil. Gently pour the herb mixture into the dish evenly, cover lightly with an aluminum foil and place in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit pre-heated oven for 40-50 minutes. I used a non-stick square muffin/baking pan for this recipe.
- Remove the foil half way through the cooking. Once cooked, remove from oven and let it cool for a few minutes before cutting it into small pieces.
- Place on a serving platter. It could be served hot or cold with warm bread and yogurt or mixed-vegetable pickles (torshi).