This is a no frosting, mildly sweet cupcake with rosewater aroma, cardamom flavor and chopped pistachios sprinkled on top. Cake Yazdi takes its name after the city of Yazd, the capital of Yazd province in central Iran. This delicious cupcake is truly a delightful dessert that can be enjoyed during any time of the day. These cupcakes can be packed for your kid's lunch, family picnics or taken on a road trip or on a plane. That's how I remember having my last Yazdi cake from back home -- on the plane en route to New York many years ago. The memory is still fresh in my mind. One of our relatives handed me a brown bag filled with freshly baked yazdi cakes amidst the tears and goodbyes as I was about to board the plane early morning at Tehran's Mehrabad Airport. Sometimes, a kind gesture leaves you with an everlasting sweet memory.
This recipe is adapted from M.R. Ghanoonparvar's "Colucheh Yazdi" recipe in his first cookbook Persian Cuisine: Traditional Foods
Cake Yazdi -Yazdi Cupcakes
Makes 20-22 cupcakes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rice flour
1 2/3 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
1 cup of plain yogurt, at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
2 tablespoons rosewater
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons finely chopped pistachios
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating each egg for a minute before adding the next one. Add vanilla and rosewater, mix well.
- Beat in the yogurt one scoop at a time.
- In a mixing bowl combine dry ingredients, flour, rice flour, baking powder, baking soda and cardamom.
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Line two cupcake trays with cupcake liners and spoon batter into pan liners until 2/3 full.
- Garnish with chopped pistachios.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until light golden brown or when the inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove pans from the oven and allow to cool.
A book of Verses underneath the bough
A bug of wine, a loaf of bread--and Thou
~ Translation by Fitzgerald