Maygoo Polow - Rice with shrimp
2 cups basmati rice
2-3 tablespoons oil (for the bottom of the rice pot)
1-2 tablespoons butter, melted (for drizzling over the rice) (optional)
1/3 teaspoon powdered saffron dissolved in 2 tablespoons of hot water
2 cups of packed fresh baby shrimps (peeled, deveined with no tails)
3-4 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper (use more if desired)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/3 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
1/3 teaspoon powdered cardamom *optional
1/3 teaspoon of dried fenugreek (shanbalileh)
1 tablespoon olive oil (for marinating shrimp)
Salt to taste
- Wash rice with cool water and soak in 4 cups of water and 2-3 tablespoons of salt for 2 hours. Drain.
- Rinse shrimp with cool water and soak in 2 cups of cold water mixed with 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice for 20 minutes. Drain.
- In a bowl, combine shrimp with minced garlic, hot pepper, ginger, fenugreek, turmeric, cardamom, salt, oil and set aside for an hour.
- In a non-stick pot bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Drain rice and gently pour into boiling water. Bring water back to boil for about ten minutes. Test to see if rice is ready, it should be firm in the center and soft on the outside. Strain and rinse with cool water.
- Wash the pot and return to heat. Add oil to the bottom of the pot and with large spoon place rice in the pot, layering it with the marinated shrimp and building it into a pyramid shape. Make a few holes in the rice to let the steam out. Cook for about ten minutes on medium-high heat. When rice starts steaming pour a cup of water, saffron and melted butter over rice, cover, lower heat and steam for about 50 minutes.
*Variation: Saute shrimp in 1-2 tablespoons of oil with a thinly sliced onion, chopped garlic and added spices then add it to the rice.