Maygoo Polow - Rice with shrimp
2 cups basmati rice
2-3 tablespoons oil (for the bottom of the rice pot)
1-2 tablespoons butter, melted (for drizzling over the rice) (optional)
1/3 teaspoon powdered saffron dissolved in 2 tablespoons of hot water
2 cups of packed fresh baby shrimps
3-4 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper (use more if desired)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/3 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
1/3 teaspoon powdered cardamom *optional
1/3 teaspoon of dried fenugreek (shanbalileh)
1 tablespoon olive oil (for marinating shrimp)
Salt to taste
- Wash rice with cool water and soak in 4 cups of water and 2-3 tablespoons of salt for 2 hours. Drain.
- Rinse the shrimp with cool water, drain.
- In a bowl, combine the shrimp with minced garlic, hot pepper, ginger, fenugreek, turmeric, cardamom, salt, 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice, oil and set aside for an hour.
- In a non-stick pot bring 6 cups of water to a boil. Drain rice and gently pour into boiling water. Bring water back to a boil for about ten minutes. Test to see if rice is ready, it should be firm in the center and soft on the outside. Strain and rinse with cool water.
- Wash the pot and return to heat. Add 3 tablespoons oil to the bottom of the pot and with a large spoon place rice in the pot, layering it with the marinated shrimp and building it into a pyramid shape. Make a few holes in the rice to let the steam out. Cook for about ten minutes on medium-high heat. When rice starts steaming pour 2 tablespoons oil or melted butter, 1/4 cup of water a cup and saffron over rice, cover, lower the heat and steam for about 50 minutes.
*Variation: Saute shrimp in 1-2 tablespoons of oil with a thinly sliced onion, chopped garlic and added spices then add it to the rice.